ZIPCAR VOTED ONE OF UK'S COOLEST BRANDS FOR 2012/13
London, 24th September, 2012: Zipcar, the UK’s largest pay-as-you-drive car club, has officially been named a CoolBrand, in an influential annual initiative to identify the UK’s coolest brands. The CoolBrands® list, now in its eleventh year, follows a vote by a combination of just under 3,000 consumers and a panel of 39 designers, style experts, media personalities and prominent figures from the worlds of TV, fashion and music. Helping rate coolness this year were the likes of Radio 1 DJ, Gemma Cairney, fashion blogger, Susie Bubble, hip-hop duo, Rizzle Kicks, celebrity chef, Gizzi Erskine, and musician, actor and director, Plan B.
Co-ordinated by The Centre for Brand Analysis, the prestigious CoolBrands list was drawn from over 10,000 independently identified brands and whittled down into a shortlist of 1,200. The panel of 39 influencers then scored each brand, bearing in mind factors such as style, innovation, originality, authenticity, desirability and uniqueness, before just under 3,000 members of the British public gave their ratings. The views of both the panel and consumers were combined to produce a list of the brands most highly rated by both council and consumers. Zipcar beat tough competition to take its place in the prestigious list.
Andrew Barclay, UK Marketing Director, Zipcar, said: "Zipcar forms part of a smarter transport system in the UK by complementing public transport and taking cars off the road. By providing our members with over 1,700 pay-as-you-drive vehicles that are readily available on streets across London, Bristol, Oxford and Cambridge, we are focused on building a brand that harnesses the increasing desire amongst Brits to travel in a way that is not only cost effective, but is convenient and good for the environment. In a world where consumers rely less on ‘ownership’, Zipcar has created both a brand and a business model that resonates strongly in today’s sharing economy. We are delighted to have been recognised as a CoolBrand."
Stephen Cheliotis, Chairman of the CoolBrands Expert Council, said: "Even in a recession a desirable reputation is vital, so being seen by opinion formers and the British public as a stylish attractive brand, is not only a great compliment but an indicator of success. Competition was fiercer than ever so achieving CoolBrands status is something Zipcar can be truly proud of."
About Zipcar UK
Zipcar UK is part of the Zipcar Inc, the world's largest pay-as-you-drive car club with over 731,000 members and more than 11,000 vehicles in urban areas across the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Spain and Austria. In the UK, Zipcar operates in London, Bristol, Cambridge and Oxford and has local authority partnerships in Kent and Surrey. London is the largest Zipcar network in the UK, with over 1,500 cars across 31 London boroughs. Zipcar members benefit from: 40 miles of fuel, insurance, maintenance, roadside assistance, road tax and the Congestion Charge when travelling in London. Zipcar offers a dozen models of self-service vehicles by the hour or day to residents and businesses looking for an alternative to the high costs and hassles of owning a car. More information is available at http://www.zipcar.co.uk/
What is CoolBrands®?
CoolBrands is an annual initiative to identify and celebrate the UK's coolest brands. Since 2001 the survey has been canvassing the views of opinion formers and consumers to produce an annual barometer of the nation’s coolest brands. This year’s survey sought the opinion of the independent influencers and just under 3,000 British consumers. Brands do not apply or pay to be considered. The results are published every September and a selection of the country’s coolest brands are featured in a luxurious, hardback format book, available from all good bookshops (RRP £50), or which can be ordered by contacting 020 7079 3310 or at CoolBrands.uk.com. You can also stay up-to-date on CoolBrands news at the CoolBrands® Facebook page and Twitter.com/CoolBrandsUK.
What is the CoolBrands selection process?
The UK’s CoolBrands are chosen by an Expert Council of influencers and members of the British public. Brands do not apply or pay to be considered. The entire selection process is independently administered by The Centre for Brand Analysis. The key stages of the selection process are as follows:
A comprehensive database of UK brands was compiled using a wide range of sources, from sector reports to blogs. From the thousands of brands initially identified, approximately 1,250 brands were shortlisted. This shortlist was scored by two separate groups of voters: - The independent and voluntary Expert Council, comprising 39 opinion-formers. Council members individually awarded each brand a rating from 1-10 and were not allowed to score brands with which they had a direct association or were in direct competition to. - A nationally-representative group of just under 3,000 British adults, accessed via an SSI online panel.
The opinions of the Expert Council (80%) and the British public (20%) were combined and the best performing brands awarded CoolBrands status.
Cool is subjective and personal. Accordingly, neither set of voters were given a definition but were asked to bear in mind the following factors, which research has shown are inherent in a CoolBrand: Style, Innovation, Originality, Authenticity, Desirability and Uniqueness.
Who is on the CoolBrands Expert Council 2012/13?
- Plan B: British Rapper, Singer-Songwriter, Actor & Film Director
- Carl Barât: Musician, Actor and Author
- Alex Box: Makeup Artist, Visionary & Creative Directore of Illamasqua
- Gemma Cairney: Radio 1 DJ
- Rob da Bank: DJ & Bestival Founder
- Ben de Lisi: Fashion Designer
- Eliza Dolittle: Music Artist
- James-lee Duffy: Art Director, Graphic Designer & Illustrator, We Are Shadows
- Gizzi Erskine: TV Chef
- Sadie Frost: Actress & Fashion Designer
- Kate Halfpenny: Fashion Designer & Stylist
- Ruby Hammer MBE: Brand Creator & Marketing Consultant
- David Harewood MBE: Actor
- Rickie Haywood-Williams & Melvin Odoom: Hosts of Kiss 100 Breakfast Show
- Kelly Hoppen MBE: Designer
- Quentin Jones: Illustrator & Filmmaker
- Millie Kendal MBE: Brand Creator & Marketing Consultant
- Rizzle Kicks: Music Artists
- Daisy Knights: Jewellery Designer
- Mark Krendel: Partnerships Director of Universal Music Group UK
- Lee Lapthorne: Fashion & Creative Director
- Susannah Lau (aka Susie Bubble): Freelance writer/blogger of Style Bubble
- Izzy Lawrence: Lifestyle and Technology Blogger & DJ
- Bip Ling: Fashion / Art Blogger & DJ
- Hannah Marshall: Designer
- Zara Martin: TV Presenter & Model
- Liz Matthews: Entertainment Publicist
- Natasha McNamara: Editor
- Callum Negus Fancey: Founder & CEO of Let's Go Holdings
- Paul Percival & Adam Reed, Managing Director & Creative Director of Percy & Reed
- Luke Peters: Editor, T3
- Charlotte Riley:Actress
- Gisèle Scanlon: Broadcaster, Author & Founder of thegoddessguide.com
- Lisa Snowdon: Presenter, Model & Co-host of Capital Breakfast Show
- Anna-Marie Solowij: Beauty Journalist & Brand Consultant
- Tabitha Somerset-Webb: Founder
- Jo Tutchener: Founder of Beauty Seen PR
- Grace Woodward: TV Presenter & Stylist
- Charli XcX: Singer-Songwriter